• CozWeAreFriends Banner. Nice isn't it?
  • CozWeAreFriends Banner. Nice isn't it?
  • Malaysia views Isis as a terrorist organisation, says Wisma Putra

    Posted on August 25th, 2014 by Info@CozWeAreFriends

    Putrajaya considers the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis) to be a terrorist organisation and does not condone any of its activities, said Wisma Putra, adding that police have been weeding out members of the group as well as sympathisers.

    “It has been revealed that some Malaysians have been influenced to support Isis, joining this group of extremists to wage jihad,” Wisma Putra said in a statement released yesterday.

    “Since the beginning of the year, authorities have conducted operations to arrest Malaysians or foreigners living here who have been involved in alleged terrorism activities.”

    Wisma Putra said that Isis had caused injuries and loss of lives to innocent civilians in Iraq, and as such, Putrajaya strongly condemned the group’s actions.
    “Malaysia has called for the formation of a Global Movement of Moderates and continues to advocate moderation and tolerance.”

    Between January and June this year, Malaysian police arrested 19 people including two women for involvement in militant activities.

    Police also revealed that at least 50 Malaysians are currently believed to be in Syria, fighting alongside Isis forces.

    Wisma Putra acknowledged police concerns about the possible threats posed by Malaysian jihadists, saying Putrajaya was monitoring such activities.

    “Putrajaya has always been on the alert concerning activities and threats which could be detrimental to internal security and public order.”

    Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak had previously said Umno members should emulate Isis as their spirit of defying vastly superior odds was admirable.

    Isis fighters had initially been outnumbered by Iraqi forces during their conflict but still managed to emerge triumphant.

    Wisma Putra’s statement yesterday was in response to an article published by news portal Malaysiakini entitled “Minister, who really is Isis?” on August 19.

    Wisma Putra also denied that Malaysia had paid any form of monetary compensation to Ukrainian separatists in return for the flight recorders of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.

    “No monetary exchange had transpired for the release of MH17 flight recorders. It is important the public be made aware of this clarification.”

    While Malaysia does not believe in negotiating with terrorists or condoning such activities, the case of flight MH17 was a unique event.

    “Malaysia had no other option but to engage in negotiations with all parties in the Ukraine,” Wisma Putra said, adding that extraordinary situations called for extraordinary measures.

    “The engagement was done with the sole purpose of recovering the remains of passengers aboard flight MH17 and to recover the flight recorders,” Wisma Putra added. – August 25, 2014.

    Written by Info

    Families wage citizen campaign to solve MH370 mystery

    Posted on August 24th, 2014 by Info@CozWeAreFriends

    KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 24 — Chinese physics student Jimmy Wang had no interest in aviation until March 8, when Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 went missing with his 58-year-old father Wang Lijun aboard.

    But Wang, 31, now spends evenings in central China combing through aviation blogs for Boeing 777 technical specs, exchanging what he finds with fellow MH370 next-of-kin.

    He is one of hundreds of relatives who — desperate to learn the fate of their loved ones — are channeling their grief in a cross-border, social-media-enabled, but so far frustrating citizen campaign to solve aviation’s greatest mystery.

    “Malaysia Airlines and others are not doing their jobs so we have to organise,” Wang, who abandoned graduate studies in Sweden to be with his grieving mother, said via Skype from his home in the city of Anyang.

    “I cannot live the rest of my life in questions.”

    Through Chinese micro-blogging site Weibo — 153 Chinese were aboard MH370 — a closed Facebook group, and Skype “meetings” of up to dozens of people, participants exchange findings, discuss the latest theories, and proposals for group action.

    The group, calling itself Voice370 with some 300 members, receives and debates advice from aviation, legal and other experts, while similar groups formed after previous disasters such as the 2009 Air France crash offer support.

    While some face-to-face meetings have been held, most exchanges are conducted via webcam or extensive email strings, with members voting on strategies for pushing Malaysia Airlines and governments involved in a still-fruitless search for more information.

    In doing so, they juggle time zones and language barriers — “meetings” are held mainly in English, with bilingual Chinese translating for their countrymen.

    Quite a community

    “It’s really quite a community,” said Sarah Bajc, an American whose partner Philip Wood was on the flight.

    “I feel compelled to do everything in my power to find Philip. We owe it to them.”

    Flight MH370 disappeared with 239 people en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

    No trace has been found despite an extensive, Australian-led search in the southern Indian Ocean.

    Some next of kin have sharply accused the airline and Malaysian authorities of a bungled response — its military tracked MH370 on radar after it mysteriously diverted, but did nothing — and withholding data from the public.

    Yet despite their efforts, families have seen only modest success.

    In an open letter to authorities in Malaysia, Australia and China in May, a skeptical Voice370 demanded to see satellite and other data that Malaysia says indicates MH370 went down in the Indian Ocean.

    The information was eventually released but shed little light on what happened.

    In June, several families, including Bajc, launched a drive to raise US$5 million (RM15.8 million) for any whistle-blower with information on the jet’s fate. Only US$100,500 has been raised.

    “You get tired, and part of you wants to put it behind and say ‘That’s where it all ends’, and part of you says, ‘You can’t rest until you figure things out,’” said K.S. Narendran, 50, a soft-spoken Indian business consultant, whose wife, Chandrika Sharma, was on MH370.

    Families denied AFP’s request to sit in on meetings.

    No stone unturned

    The airline and Malaysian government deny charges of a cover-up and insist they will leave no stone unturned.

    “We would like to assure the next of kin of MH370 that our commitment to the search for this flight has remained consistent and has strengthened,” Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said in an August 9 statement.

    The government is yet to announce any findings of its investigations into MH370.

    Its attention is now diverted by the July 17 downing of another Malaysia Airlines passenger jet, MH17, over war-torn eastern Ukraine, a tragedy that also ripped open emotional wounds for many MH370 next-of-kin.

    Bajc said MH17 underlines the importance of Voice370, particularly the need to highlight “critical flaws” in global aviation and police “incompetent” airlines and authorities that endanger passengers.

    But she and others admit resignation is setting in.

    Bajc no longer joins the video meetings, as she and others look increasingly for other ways to pressure authorities, such as mulling possible lawsuits against the airline or Boeing to reveal more.

    No significant lawsuits have been filed yet. Some families, however, say they are sifting through the complexities of where and how best to file a case in such an unprecedented disaster.

    “It’s my father. I’m his only son. No matter what happened, we need to bring them back,” Wang said.

    “I think if I don’t do this I will feel guilty.” — AFP

    Written by Info

    A man died – after winning his lottery

    Posted on August 23rd, 2014 by Info@CozWeAreFriends

    A 62-YEAR-OLD noodle stall helper at a hawker centre in Bukit Cina, Malacca, collapsed and died shortly after realising he had won the second prize in a lottery, reported China Press.

    The daily said the man, known only as Yong, was on his break and was checking the draw result in the newspaper when he came across his good luck at about 6am on Thurs-day.

    A patron who last spoke to Yong recalled that Yong showed him the ticket before picking up the newspaper to check.

    Yong was said to have happily told him that he got second prize for the combination of 1234, adding that he initially wanted to bet for RM4 but later reduced it to RM1.

    Yong was elated over his win and was heard exclaiming “Wow!” excitedly before he collapsed on the floor, much to the shock of the patrons nearby.

    His employer, known only as Wong, immediately called an ambulance and tried to revive him.

    Written by Info

    Australian woman in alleged sex attack on Malaysia Airlines flight goes public

    Posted on August 22nd, 2014 by Info@CozWeAreFriends

    KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 22 ― An Australian woman alleging that she had been sexually assaulted by a Malaysia Airlines steward on an intercontinental flight has gone public about her ordeal.

    Known only as Laura, the 26-year-old alleged that the chief steward on Malaysia Airlines flight MH20 from Kuala Lumpur to Paris on August 4 had attacked her during which she had been paralysed by fear, according to a report on News.com.au.

    “I couldn’t stop it, I just froze, I was just scared,” the news site quoted her as saying in a interview expected to be to be aired on Australian television this weekend.

    “I keep saying ‘why didn’t I scream, why didn’t I shout, why didn’t I stop it? I’m a strong person because I can, I can do that, I know I can, but when I was in the moment I couldn’t. I felt so scared, so petrified,” she was further quoted as saying.

    Laura was reported to have recorded an exchange mid-flight in which a woman is heard crying and saying: “I’m so scared, I just want to get off this plane … I don’t want to see you, go away, you give me the creeps, you dirty old man.”

    In a statement last week, Malaysia Airlines confirmed the allegations had been made were made and that a member of staff had been detained by French police.

    “We will naturally assist the French authorities as they conduct their investigation and would stress that the safety, comfort and well-being of our passengers is always our highest priority,” it said.

    While the airline gave no other details about the member of staff arrested, the Australian news site said the chief steward is married with children remains in the custody of French police after “making admissions.”

    The story comes at a time when the struggling airline is on its knees after successive years of losses and is now being taken over by the government.

    The national carrier has also been in the spotlight for two tragedies this year.

    In March, Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying 239 people on board disappeared from the skies in what is believed to be among the greatest mysteries of modern aviation. The jetliner remains missing and everyone on board is believed to be dead.

    Mid-July, Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was shot down over Ukrainian airspace, killing all 283 people on board.-tmmOnline

    Written by Info